Tuesday 17 March 2015

Homemade Nasal Spray

Congestion sucks, whether it's colds or allergies, dealing with it is never a fun task.

Saline nasal spray can provide relief for congestion. However, saline nasal spray solution is one thing you don't have to buy at a store. With a few ingredients, you can make it at home in a matter of minutes. This was definitely a tip I was hesitant to try when I first heard of it, but it’s something I swear by now. Salt-water rinsing, also known as nasal irrigation, helps break nasal congestion while also removing virus particles and bacteria from your nose.

HOW TO USE
Ingredients:
  • Salt (kosher, canning, or pickling salt)
  • Baking soda
  • Nasal irrigation pot (available at most pharmacies), or just a standard bulb syringe.
  • Measuring spoons
  • Container with lid
In case you were wondering what a bulb syringe looks like, here is a photo. I've added in a link that takes you to Amazon in case you wanted to know the price :D



Making the Nasal Spray

1)       Prepare the solution by putting 1 tsp salt and ½ tsp baking soda into the container. Add half a cup of lukewarm tap water and mix the contents.
2)       Fill the nasal pot or bulb syringe with the liquid.

How to Use the Spray

1)    Position your head! Lean over the sink; rotate your head to one side.
2)    Insert the spout of the irrigation device into the uppermost nostril. Breathe through your mouth.
3)    Raise the handle of the nasal pot so the solution flows into the upper nostril; in a few moments, the solution will begin to drain from the lower nostril. You should start feeling some relief from your blocked nose but do it slowly.
4)    Continue until the pot is empty or until you feel relieved of your congestion, then exhale gently through both nostrils and gently blow your nose.
5)    Repeat with the other nostril.
6)    Do this twice a day or as directed.
You can store and reuse the unused saline solution in the sealed container at room temperature for up to two days. But don’t fret there’s plenty more where that came from if you need to make it again!
Now why is this tip so effective? Because it really can help with sinusitis and congestion.

MEDICAL RESEARCH/STUDY FINDINGS:
Although nasal sprays have been determined to be effective at helping with congestion I will outline just how effective this natural spray in helping with sinus problems, improving the quality of life for sufferers.
Sinusitis
For all serious allergy sufferers, sinusitis (or rhinosinusitis) is defined as an inflammation of the mucous membrane that lines the para-nasal sinuses. A comprehensive test conducted by the University of Chicago recommended nasal irrigation to patients with chronic rhinosinusitis, where they concluded that large-volume, low-pressure saline irrigation decreases the severity and frequency of symptoms. In other words, if you irrigate your nasal system with a sizable amount of the liquid and do it gently, the symptoms of your congestion will reduce in seriousness (please see here for the full article )

For chronic sufferers you can rejoice: There is evidence, too, that patients who successfully use large-volume, low-pressure saline irrigation gain more than symptom relief. In a study conducted David Rabago MD, published by the Ann Fam Medical Journal also found that effective use of this technique was associated with a sense of empowerment, and led to improved self-management skills, as well as a rapid, and long-term, improvement in quality of life (please see here for the full article)

This is pretty comprehensive evidence that it is effective. The fact that it is safe and gentle, non-toxic and cheap to make has got to make it a winning combination!

Do you use nasal sprays? Have you tried this before? I would love to know your experiences!

1 comment:

  1. It is no secret that I have a very deep and personal relationship with God. I have pushed and resisted that relationship this past year through all the bullshit I have had to go through living with Herpes but once again, God is bigger than my stubbornness and broke through that outbreak cold sore and all I had Genital Herpes. For me personally, hearing over and over how I am not good enough has really invaded my mind in the worst way possible. I completely shut down and I was just waking up like is this how life going to end this temporary herpes outbreak “fuck everybody with herpes if you know what I mean” but let's be honest here...
    It is cowardly to say no to herbal medicine. It is fear based. And it is dishonest to what my heart wants. Don't build a wall around yourself because you are afraid of herbals made or taking a bold step especially when it comes to health issues and getting cured. So many young men/ women tell me over and over that Dr Itua is going to scam me but I give him a try to today I feel like no one will ever convince me about herbal medicine I accept Dr Itua herbal medicine because it's cure my herpes just two weeks of drinking it and i have been living for a year and months now I experience outbreak no more, You can contact him if you need his herbal medicine for any such diseases like, Herpes, Parkinson, Diabetes, Hepatitis, Syndrome, Cancers, HIV, Epilepsy, Infertility, and any kind of disease & Infections Love Spell,. Email..drituaherbalcenter@gmail.com www.drituaherbalcenter.com then what's app.+2348149277967.... My advice to any sick men/women out there is simple... Be Always an open book. Be gut wrenching, honest about yourself, your situation, and what you are all about. Don't hold anything back. Holding back will get you nowhere...maybe a one way ticket to lonelyville and that is NOT somewhere you want to be. So my final truth...and I'm just starting to grasp this one..    

    ReplyDelete